Monday, July 21, 2008

We're Still Looking For The LOVE!!!!

Hey everyone, it's Erin...here's my review of the new Sugarland CD!!

Well folks, you know we love us some Sugarland. You know that we love to roll down our windows, crank it up and JAM OUT to Sugarland. Naturally with their new CD arriving this week, we were excited. “Were” is now the key word.

Although it doesn’t hit stores until tomorrow, we got our hands on a copy of the deluxe version of the CD and after giving it a good listen, we don’t really like what we’re hearing. Like really, it kinda sucks…and there’s no one who’s sadder about that than us. Now I know that I have high expectations when it comes to Sugarland…I’ve told you before that I’ve loved every single one of their songs…so in my book, the bar is set pretty high. Maybe that’s not fair to them to expect so much, but they’ve shown so much talent and relatability (pretty sure I just made that word up, but whatevs!) up until this point so now as a fan, I’m feeling very let down.

There are some songs that I like…in fact, there’s even a song that I LOVE. “We Run” is one of those Sugarland songs that for me, gives me that amazing feeling of taking a great big breath and filtering the music into my soul…that’s a pretty cool thing and this song does that for me. I sing this song with every fiber of my being and IT.FEELS.GOOD. “It Happens” is an ok song…it’s cute, catchy, and a song that a lot of people will relate to…on a happy day, this song will make you feel good…on a sad day, I doubt it will do much for you. “Joey” is a sad song…the first time I listened it gave me that knot in my stomach…you know the feeling. It was sad and that made it moving. Lauren sort of had a different reaction…she said it was pain to her ears to her Jennifer Nettles repeatedly whining the name "Joey" , she had to change the song half way through. Either way, it gave us both a powerful reaction so I guess that counts for something. I kind of like “Operation: Working Vacation”…it wasn’t great, but it stick in my head for 3 hours after I heard it, so since it was on continuous repeat in my brain, it kind of grew on me. Lauren thought "Operation Vacation" should have been on a cheesy Disney movie. Remember that reaction that Lauren had about “Joey”…well that’s how we both felt about “Steve Earle.” Not feeling that one at all…especially when the music stops playing and Jennifer is rambling on…it was like fingernails on a chalkboard! And I need someone to explain “Genevieve” to me…I just don’t understand the song. Another song that I like is "Take Me As I Am"...I think they must have sang this on tour last Fall because I know I've heard it before. Typical Sugarland feel and I like that. One more and then I'll stop..."Love" is the most ANNOYING song I've ever heard! It was ok at first, not great but ok...and then at the end OMG I wanted to throw the CD out the window! Jennifer and Kristian are both singing at the same time and it sounds like they're singing totally different songs...it's like there was two songs playing and I need to shut one of them off...it was A.W.F.U.L.

I went into every single song pulling for it to be good…I wanted to LOVE them all like I did before…I pulled, I stretched, I tried to attach myself to these songs, but I just couldn’t do it. And that stinks.

We don’t want this to deter you from buying their CD…they TOTALLY deserve for you to go out and buy their CD…they’ve absolutely earned that. And we still love us some Sugarland, but you can bet that the next time you see us in our car, jamming out to them, we’ll be listening to one of their first two CD’s.

And don't forget they'll be taking over ABC tomorrow...you can catch them on Good Morning America and The View.

Let us know what you think...good and bad...we want to hear it all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Completely agree....while I wouldn't say it was awful...i would say it doesn't compare to the first two albums. This album is typical....about 3-4 good songs. We are used to loving every song they put out and this cd definitely isn't the case. I expect they will be working on a fourth album very soon as I don't expect many singles to reach the top 10 from this.

By the way. I love this blog. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hmm,that sucks. But, I will still go buy the album and check it out.
Regardless, Sugarland still ROCKS.

Anonymous said...

Are you serious? I actually thought this was a good Album. Yeah there are a few songs that are not my favorite. But come on, how many CD's do you actually love ever single cut on it? I would like to know of just one! I was pretty impressed w/ the raw sound of Jennifer's voice and I like hearing Christian singing more, he is pretty good. I just think that maybe, just maybe you were a little harse with some of the words you used to express your feeling about some songs. Were you really annoyed? But all in all we each have opionions and mine is...I likie what i hear!! :)
Great blog, love all the pictures and links to the FC sites!